Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Lamppost and the Leaves

I'm fascinated with the trees here on the Monterey Peninsula. Sometime I'll post pictures of all my favorites. Today though, I'm writing about a new discovery - I just found out that one of my best friends (and neighbors, who sees the same trees I do every day) shares that same interest. Yesterday she pointed out a tree I've passed by daily but hadn't really seen before, at least not the way she had. And it's really cool.



It's not so much about the tree itself, but about the lamppost and the leaves. She pointed out to me that all the leaves have long since fallen to the ground - except - the leaves right around the lamppost. They're even still green for the most part, at the end of December. It must be the light from the lamp at night that is keeping them alive.



I love analogies and I think there's a good one here! In fact, these lyrics came to my mind as I thought about the power of that light:

Thou gracious God, whose mercy lends
the light of home, the smile of friends,
our gathered flock thine arms enfold
as in the peaceful days of old.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809 – 1894)

This was a beautiful reminder that in this past year, His mercy has brought me the light of home, the smile of friends, and deep, inner peace as I've felt His loving arms gather me in. Like that lamppost, His light has given me the extra strength I've needed to keep holding on through long, dark nights. May this strength and peace fill us through the weeks and months ahead. Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

3 comments:

The Lane Family said...

What an AMAZING post and such a great analogy and teaching moment...I LOVE it!!

I miss you and think of you and your family often..I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you and your family!!

Lesli said...

I hadn't checked your blog (or any other blogs) for awhile and love your recent posts! Your photography and insight continue to impress and amaze me, as well as you sense of humor and resiliency. And aren't you just so cute in your jingle bell earrings!
Love you so!

moaspen said...

VERY cool. It is a beautiful part of the world there. Miss you guys! ~shiloh